Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil. The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earth’s crust above me…. I want to unfurl my tender buds like banners to announce the arrival of spring… I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the blessing of the morning dew on my petals!” And so she grew. The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts… What if I let my buds open and a snail tries to eat them? And if I were to open my blossoms, a small child may pull me from the ground. No, it is much better for me to wait until it is safe.” And so she waited. A yard hen scratching around in the early spring ground for food found the waiting seed and promptly ate it.
MORAL OF THE STORY
Those of us who refuse to risk and grow get swallowed up by life.
More often than not, we get an earful of the chant, “Take the risk! Take the risk!” Easier said than done right, most especially when you are in your comfort zone. Deep in your gut, there is a stirring desire to strive and achieve more but the F-factor, that is, fear and failure crawls in. Risk is a word that exist in everyday vocabulary. However,to many, it is a dark tunnel you have to travel through to reach the end. Simply put, Risk is comprehending in your noggins what seems impossible.
Dreams, no doubt can be huge sometimes and can create a feeling of discomfort or kill our hopes. Lots of people dream about taking risks in life but are afraid to go through it. You might have a big dream that is really bigger than what you think that you can achieve and if eventually fulfilled can shock your entire generation no matter the illusion attached to it. Howbeit, it is wise enough to go for it. Taking risks brings out the possibility of advancing your dreams.
Also read: The Hidden Mystery In Success
Taking risks help you to grow in new experiences. More importantly, you may never find out how high you can soar if you don’t try to push yourself forward in life. You cannot sit on your hands hoping for opportunities to hit like lightening. Apparently, you are taking the road most travelled by so many who refused to step down from their bed of roses. Truly, only a person who decides to take risk is totally free. Free to move from the state of the ordinary to a special standing of the outstanding. To risk is for the sake of progress and growth.
In taking any risk, take calculated risks and not careless impulsive gamble. By not taking the risk to achieve your goals, you take the risk of becoming a coward. Choosing to take risk, an iota of risk, has far reaching implications not only on you but as well as in the course of human life. If you risk to follow through on your dreams, there is no misgiving that it can add values to earth, people around you, your society or even the world at large.
Do not let mistakes, disappointment, pain, failure stop risk-taking. Use them as a motivation or a stepping stone. Whatever that is holding you back from actuating those set goals, it is time to overcome it. How? There is the need for you to;
- Gather your courage and stop underestimating yourself: Frankly speaking, you can handle the stress, responsibility, or pressure that comes along with your predestined purpose. Don’t sell your worth too cheap, you are embedded with lots of skills and talents – stop having cold feet. Yes, you can! Do more than you give yourself credit for. Believe in you and stop doubting your abilities and capabilities.
- Consider the risk of settling for less and living with regrets: people think about the consequences of taking risks to follow their dreams without actually thinking about the bottom line of never trying which is a serious risk as well. This is a risk that may not allow you to live the fulfilling life you want and you’re eventually overcome with regrets.
- Push out of your comfort zone a little to reach for things you want to accomplish. Don’t be too comfortable where you are. You can reach further to achieve more than you think.
- Be realistic and keep the consequences in perspective: It is exigent you do not fixate on the worst possible sequence of events (because it can prevent you from taking any kind of risk) however, it pays to be prepared in order to be able to handle serious challenging scenarios
- Picture everything going well: Once you have decided that a risk is worth taking, visualize it’s possibility. Don’t dwell on the negative island. Leave the isle of negativity and plunge into the bank of positive thinking that brings out the confidence to attain greater height.
Enviable achievements does not evolve in space. So many people waste precious time to visualize who and where they should be, and what status they should be in the near far future. The future is neither tomorrow, next week, next year or what have you. The future starts now! When you take the risk to actualize those lofty dreams – small or big- you can accomplish. Be wise! Just do it!